Natural potassium intake for hypertension

Hi everyone, this is more of an open question and reflexion.

After a few exchanges with patients, it has come to my attention again a 2013 study titled “Effect of increased potassium intake on cardiovascular risk and disease factors: a systematic review and meta-analyzes”. Here the link:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23558164

While our ancestors’ arguably included in their eating habits about a daily potassium intake of 200ml, present day societies to my knowledge are seeing a surge in hypokalemia cases. This deficiency could be due to the massification of processed foods, with people tending to go for the chocolate bar over the fruit. I have come across a wave of new studies on the role of potassium in lowering blood pressure values. Potassium is hence an effective component in the prevention and treatment of hypertension. Stroke, kidney failure, cardiovascular risks .... We all know the dramatic consequences from these conditions but I think we often underestimate how this awareness is not necessarily still widespread amongst patients. Hypertensive subjects who are more comfortable coping and living their everyday lives with their hypertension tend to abandon their treatment but are also more likely to change their diets, if given specific “hacks” of what to eat. If they are advised to consume more potassium with clear food examples, there is a good chance that they prefer to follow this rather than following their (pharmacological) treatment. I guess potassium intake in this way, has an insidious effect on high blood pressure and it does not overwhelm patients too much. So do not hesitate to “prescribe” and encourage patients to eat a banana or a fruit of their choice more frequently and on a daily basis!

Whats your experience with this? Should we at least keep our patients informed on fruits and vegetables as a form of prevention and solution to certain conditions? Have you found this to be effective in cases where treatment compliance fails or is intermittent? Has this been effective in their control readings for their pathologies.

Thanks all for any reflections!

Anna