mRNA vaccines should induce viral proteins directly in the body and stimulate the immune system to produce broadly neutralising antibodies against HIV.
Vaccine prospects were revolutionised thanks to new mRNA vaccines against COVID-19. Can this knowledge transfer for the HIV vaccine quest?
ARTs for HIV treatment are highly effective, but rebounds occurs after medicine discontinuation. This article looks at developing treatment options in this field.
In Uganda, AIDS-related mortality has dropped rapidly. Quick HIV tests and more screening options are just some of the measures helping the developing country.
Modern HIV therapies cannot yet remove the viruses from the body. Treatments that attack viral reservoirs are of great hope to eliminate HIV in a patient.
Current HIV therapy pushes the virus below detection limits. The virus can then no longer be passed on. However, HIV is very variable, so the therapeutic sword must be constantly sharpened.
Worldwide, only about 84% of people living with HIV know their viral status. New recommendations aim to reach the remaining 16%.
The suicide rate worldwide has increased by 60% in the last 45 years. A significant increase can be seen in the group of adolescents and young adults with HIV.
The WHO guidelines for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of AIDS in at-risk populations has been expanded to include viral hepatitis and STDs.
The Southern African region has the world's highest HIV infection rate in women 15-24 years old. Suicidal behaviour is common and two studies look into this.
Growing old is associated with social, financial and health problems. But if a lifelong HIV infection is added to this, ageing can often become a challenge.
HIV rarely comes alone. That is why research takes a closer look at HIV viruses, and also at important pathogens of other infections like hepatitis and tuberculosis.
The WHO advises HIV-positive mothers against breastfeeding to avoid transmission. But more countries are now providing their own recommendations.
When people with HIV also have hepatitis B, clinical management can be complicated. Next is an update on optimising diagnostics and therapy.
How do wars affect the medical care of people with infectious diseases? This was a topic of debate at the AIDS 2022 Congress in Montreal.
Global health needs to be decolonised. Women living with HIV worldwide must not only be provided with programmes, but also empowered to develop their own.
Monkeypox is currently spreading worldwide. In the process, the virus may be adapting more to humans, and a majority of cases are sexually transmitted.